FOOTBALL SEASON IS HERE!!
Sorry for getting a little excited there. As I write this, Clemson is beating last year’s Champs Auburn 35-24 and I WISH I was in Death Valley right now.
But, I’m not. I’m in Jersey City. Had a little scare this morning, searched for the Clemson game on TV and couldn’t find it. Not on ESPN, not on Fox Sports, not on BTN. I was in the middle of chastising New York television and telling my husband we need to move to South Carolina asap… when I found it… on ABC!! Glory be.
Anyways, a snack was then in order since we won’t be leaving the house until the last second on the play clock.
(Notice the Clemson cup in the background.)
Baked Tortilla Chips and homemade Guacamole
- 7 Corn tortillas
- 1 Tablespoon Corn Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- teeny-tiny pinch of Cumin
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray oil on a baking sheet.
- Brush tortillas with oil
- Stack tortillas and cut into 8ths
- Lay tortillas on baking sheet.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes rotate baking sheet 1/2 way through cooking.
- Remove from oven, place chips in a large bowl and toss with Salt and Cumin.
Easiest thing ever.
- 1 avocado
- 1 teaspoon lemon or lime juice
- Few drops of Tabasco
- 1 Tablespoon salsa
- De-pit avocado and lightly mash with a fork in a bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix.
- Go Tigers!
Mmmmm Tostada… (last night’s dinner)
A couple of questions for you:
- Are you looking for a healthy, delicious and easy weeknight dinner?
- Do you have a can of black beans, corn tortillas and some vegetables in your kitchen?
Then you need to try this out. It’s husband approved. (I had a good photo of Iain shoving one into his mouth but, he made me take it down- geez)
Embarrassingly easy Vegan Tostadas with “refried” beans
Total Time: 15 minutes
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
- 4-5 Corn tortillas
- Spray Oil
- Refried beans (either a can of Amy’s or from recipe below)
- 1/2 tomato, chopped
- 2 handfuls of greens chopped (I had spinach)
- 1/2 Avocado, chopped
- 1/4 onion, chopped
- 3 Tablespoons salsa
- 2 ounces Vegan Cheddar Cheese (I wish I had used Daiya which melts much better than the brand I had on hand)
- Turn oven on to Broil
- Spray both sides of the Corn Tortillas, and cook each in a non-stick skillet until golden brown. Then lay them out on a baking sheet.
3. Spread each tortilla with Vegan Refried Beans
4. Top each tortilla with tomatoes, chopped greens, avocado, onion and cheese. (or whatever goodness you have on hand, I put some chicken sausage slices on the husband’s). Slide baking sheet with tortillas into the oven and watch ( be careful to not let them burn) until the cheese is melty (3-5 minutes).
Top each with salsa and enjoy. I know we did!
Vegan “Refried” Beans
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1/4 white onion
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Put all ingredients in a food processor.
2. Pulse until a hummus (ish), refried beans-y consistency.