I admit it, I LOVE Gwyneth Paltrow. It’s a deep love that began my Sophomore year of college when I saw “Sliding Doors” and decided 3 things:
- I should cut my hair short. (Thank you to my college roomie for changing my mind on that one)
- I should study abroad in the UK
- I LOVE Gwyneth Paltrow
And I truly believe we could be the best of friends. I mean, we may have chosen different career paths. But, she has an English husband, I have an English husband (thanks to that year abroad). Think of all the hilarious conversations.
Natalie: Hey Gwyneth, does Chris say that someone is “at hospital” instead of “in the hospital”?
Gwyneth: He does!!
Then we’ll laugh and laugh and then go grab some coffee, or maybe she’ll make me some Vegetable Paella from her book, or we’ll go watch ‘Shakespeare in Love’ in her private cinema or something. Whatever, we’re relaxed, no agenda, just hanging out.
But seriously, the girl can cook.
I got a copy of My Father’s Daughter: Delicious, Easy Recipes Celebrating Family & Togetherness for my birthday in July and have been slowly and deliciously making my way through it since. Yesterday, as Hurricane Irene shuffled up to NYC/NJ and we were confined indoors, I found time to make her “Fudgy Chocolate Brownies”, which happen to be vegan.
The verdict. Delicious moist, chocolate-y brownies. As Gwyneth says “These are about as healthy as brownies can get, with no flavor sacrifice”.
And I’ll say it a thousand times, the best part of vegan baking, getting to eat the batter!
I made a few substitutions, based on what I had on hand. (Wouldn’t you know it, I was clean out of spelt flour). I’m not sure on the copyright laws on publishing her recipe. But, the below is my adaptation.
Gwyneth’s Fudgy Chocolate Brownies
Adapted From My Father’s Daughter
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup almond meal flour
- 1 cup high-quality cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- Pinch fine salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup Maple Syrup
- 1/2 cup brown rice syrup
- 1/2 cup strong brewed coffee
- 1/2 cup soy milk
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup Trader Joe’s Chocolate Chips (vegan)
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease a 9×11 inch baking dish with Vegetable Oil.
- Sift the flours, cocoa, baking powder, and salt together in a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the 1/2 cup vegetable oil, syrups, coffee, soy milk, and vanilla.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Careful not to overmix.
- Pour 1/2 the batter into the baking dish. Sprinkle with 1/2 the chocolate chips.
- Pour the rest of the batter into the baking dish. Sprinkle with the rest of the chocolate chips.
- Bake for 50 minutes. Until a toothpick or knife has just a little bit of chocolate on it when you test it.
- Cool and cut into squares.