Mmmmm Tostada… (last night’s dinner)
A couple of questions for you:
- Are you looking for a healthy, delicious and easy weeknight dinner?
- Do you have a can of black beans, corn tortillas and some vegetables in your kitchen?
Then you need to try this out. It’s husband approved. (I had a good photo of Iain shoving one into his mouth but, he made me take it down- geez)
Embarrassingly easy Vegan Tostadas with “refried” beans
Total Time: 15 minutes
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
- 4-5 Corn tortillas
- Spray Oil
- Refried beans (either a can of Amy’s or from recipe below)
- 1/2 tomato, chopped
- 2 handfuls of greens chopped (I had spinach)
- 1/2 Avocado, chopped
- 1/4 onion, chopped
- 3 Tablespoons salsa
- 2 ounces Vegan Cheddar Cheese (I wish I had used Daiya which melts much better than the brand I had on hand)
- Turn oven on to Broil
- Spray both sides of the Corn Tortillas, and cook each in a non-stick skillet until golden brown. Then lay them out on a baking sheet.
3. Spread each tortilla with Vegan Refried Beans
4. Top each tortilla with tomatoes, chopped greens, avocado, onion and cheese. (or whatever goodness you have on hand, I put some chicken sausage slices on the husband’s). Slide baking sheet with tortillas into the oven and watch ( be careful to not let them burn) until the cheese is melty (3-5 minutes).
Top each with salsa and enjoy. I know we did!
Vegan “Refried” Beans
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1/4 white onion
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt & Pepper to taste