Thursday morning we were up uber early to watch the USA v Russia Rugby World cup game. 4am, thank you very much. Rugby is not really my thing. Now, I’ll watch a game and a day at Twickenham is always fun times. Waking up at 4am to watch a game would never be my idea. But, when the hubby is up and watching the game, I don’t know, I can’t sleep, I feel like I want to get up and be part of the fun. (Yes, I know I’m crazy).
Once up, watching the game is, err, a little boring. And I thought my time would be better spent baking. So, I give to you Pumpkin Banana Chocolate Chip (mini) muffins.
That’s a lot of name for a mini muffin. (Oh, and please ignore the melted chocolate on my hand. Couldn’t be helped).
Lots of wholesome goodness in there and I could have easily called these “Pumpkin Banana Applesauce Chia Chocolate Chip Muffins”. But, that sounds a bit pretentious. 🙂 Lovely, easy and a taste of fall that you can feel good about eating. Enjoy!
Pumpkin Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins (vegan)
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 grates of nutmeg (does that make sense? take some nutmeg and rub it over a grater 4 times)
- 1 ripe banana
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 3/4 cup milk (I used almond but any would work)
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds (+3 T water)
- 1 tablespoon egg replacer (+3 T water)
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375. Grease muffin pan.
- In one small bowl add chia seeds and 3T water and let soak, in another small bowl add egg replacer and let soak.
- Mix together dry ingredients.
- Mix together wet ingredients (banana through egg replacer). Save the soaked chia and egg replacer for last to give them more time to soak.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry, being careful not to overstir. (Ha ha, i don’t really mean that. I always see that in recipes and it drives me crazy. You have common sense, stir until it’s mixed – no big deal)
- Add the chocolate chips to the batter.
- Fill muffin cups 3/4 full. Bake for 16-ish minutes until a knife or toothpick stuck in the center comes out clean.
- Cool & enjoy with coffee!
Oh, and the USA won. USA!
Warning. I am going to eat A LOT today. 9 mile run this morning and bikram yoga this evening, I know I need to fuel up. This is one of my favorite ways to get a good start in the morning. Gooey, banana-y, peanut butter-y, warm, crunchy, messy. Delicious.
(And my husband’s finger)
Cinnamon Banana Breakfast Scramble
Adapted from The Edible Perspective
- 1 Tablespoon Chia Seeds (I’ll need to write an ode to Chia seeds later)
- 2 Tablespoons Oats
- 2 Tablespoons Milk (I Used Almond Milk)
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/2 Banana
- 1 English Muffin
- 1 Tablespoon Nut Butter
- 1 Tablespoon Strawberry Jam
- In a small bowl, mix together the Chia seeds, oats, milk, vanilla extract, cinnamon and mash the banana. Once the mixture is combined flip into a nonstick skillet and cook on that side for 3 minutes.
- While scramble is cooking, toast the English Muffin.
- After the 3 minutes, flip the scramble to the other side. This may be a little messy. And cook 3 minutes on the other side.
- Top one 1/2 of the English Muffin with peanut butter and the other 1/2 with jam and then add the Banana scramble.
Mmmmm. Good morning to you!!
I woke up this morning “NEEDING” some fruit and vegetables. ASAP. A Green Monster was calling my name.
It may have had something to do with eating an entire loaf of focaccia last night in lieu of dinner. That wasn’t my intention, I just stopped by a local market to pick up the loaf on the way home, and before I knew it; GONE. But, delicious. I blame it on the 12 mile run + 4 mile hike I had done the day before. My body apparently still needed to replenish some carbs.
Anyways, on to the Green Monster. Thanks to Angela , I LOVE Green Monsters. Healthy, delicious and easy. And my friend, Heidi, swears these smoothies result in an immediate improvement in skin tone. What could be better? Well, the color could be improved. Green / black smoothies don’t appeal to everyone. 🙂
Chocolate Covered Cherry Green Monster (Vegan)
- 1 cup pitted cherries – highly recommend getting yourself a cherry pitter
- 1 frozen banana chopped
- 1 cup Almond Milk
- 2 Big Handfuls of Spinach
- 2 teaspoons Cocoa Powder (unsweetened)
- 1 Scoop Amazing Grass Amazing Meal
- 1 teaspoon Agave Nectar
- 1 Tablespoons Chocolate Chips (vegan)
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 – Toss all ingredients in a blender (don’t get weirded out by seeing the Chocolate Chips & Spinach hanging out together)
3 – Pour into a glass and drink your veggies!