Thursday morning we were up uber early to watch the USA v Russia Rugby World cup game. 4am, thank you very much. Rugby is not really my thing. Now, I’ll watch a game and a day at Twickenham is always fun times. Waking up at 4am to watch a game would never be my idea. But, when the hubby is up and watching the game, I don’t know, I can’t sleep, I feel like I want to get up and be part of the fun. (Yes, I know I’m crazy).
Once up, watching the game is, err, a little boring. And I thought my time would be better spent baking. So, I give to you Pumpkin Banana Chocolate Chip (mini) muffins.
That’s a lot of name for a mini muffin. (Oh, and please ignore the melted chocolate on my hand. Couldn’t be helped).
Lots of wholesome goodness in there and I could have easily called these “Pumpkin Banana Applesauce Chia Chocolate Chip Muffins”. But, that sounds a bit pretentious. :) Lovely, easy and a taste of fall that you can feel good about eating. Enjoy!
Pumpkin Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins (vegan)
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 grates of nutmeg (does that make sense? take some nutmeg and rub it over a grater 4 times)
- 1 ripe banana
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 3/4 cup milk (I used almond but any would work)
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds (+3 T water)
- 1 tablespoon egg replacer (+3 T water)
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375. Grease muffin pan.
- In one small bowl add chia seeds and 3T water and let soak, in another small bowl add egg replacer and let soak.
- Mix together dry ingredients.
- Mix together wet ingredients (banana through egg replacer). Save the soaked chia and egg replacer for last to give them more time to soak.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry, being careful not to overstir. (Ha ha, i don’t really mean that. I always see that in recipes and it drives me crazy. You have common sense, stir until it’s mixed – no big deal)
- Add the chocolate chips to the batter.
- Fill muffin cups 3/4 full. Bake for 16-ish minutes until a knife or toothpick stuck in the center comes out clean.
- Cool & enjoy with coffee!
Oh, and the USA won. USA!